THE Valencian Community has received its first two UNESCO biosphere reserves following an announcement last Wednesday.
The two new reserves are Alto Turia, near Valencia city, and Valle de Cabriel, on the border of Castilla la Mancha province.
The UNESCO World Network of Biosphere Reserves (WNBR) comprise core, protected ecosystems, a buffer zone for ecologically-sound practices and a transition area where sustainable development is encouraged.
The Alto Turia biosphere reserve comprises 67,080 hectares, home to Iberian hares and midwife toads, as well as endemic freshwater fish, such as the Catalan barbel.
It was also selected for the ‘quality’ of its dry ecosystem, UNESCO said in a statement.
The Valle del Cabriel reserve contains prehistoric paintings, as well as river channels that function as ‘ecological corridors’ for fauna and flora.
Spain has 52 UNESCO biosphere reserves making it the country with the most declared of the 123
The United Kingdom has just 12.
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04
- Driver confuses Barcelona’s ‘busiest’ Metro entrance with car park and goes bumper-first down staircase - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:17
- Woman killed after firework ‘shot into her mouth’ and exploded at Spanish festival - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:06
- British man, 46, arrested after stabbing 20-year-old at 11AM in a bar in Alfaz del Pi on the Costa Blanca - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:45