A BRITISH driver has been left furious after his new UK-plated Bentley was towed away by six police officers in Spain because of a slow online database.
The police officers in Benidorm took the car away after they checked a UK Government website and could not find evidence that Dave McQueen had paid UK tax, instead believing the twin-turbo Continental GT ‘was stolen’.
McQueen explained to police that the website states it can take ‘five working days’ to update, and vowed that he bought his car ‘just four days ago’.
“Surely if the police are going to check your car they must use a better system that doesn’t take five days to update,” McQueen told the Olive Press this week.
He added his twin-turbo supercar ‘did not fit onto’ a tow-truck, and so two police cars and six officers stopped traffic to escort him through Benidorm.
The next day a Link Point Legal solicitor retrieved McQueen’s car ‘without any charges’.
McQueen later found he was driving home on two flat front tyres, which cost €650 to repair and another week without his car.
He said he may have been stopped due to his ‘BE04ORM’ numberplate.
- French couple, 80 and 66, injured after paddling pool crashes through terrace floor into garage below on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 18:12
- OWN MEDICINE: Lawyer arrested in Murcia court after speeding to a trial on a traffic accident - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Instagram sensation in northern Spain turns out to be TOXIC lake - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 10:31
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04