ELECTRIC scooter riders will soon require a helmet and insurance in new measures to be ‘imminently’ introduced in Alicante.
Alicante Town Hall’s Department of Mobility is following in the footsteps of Valencia city and Benidorm in introducing at least four pillars of electric scooter use.
The first will be a prohibition against using electric scooters on pavements, instead riding on bicycle lines or walking where there are no provisions.
Secondly, riders will need to use a helmet.
The third regulation will be mandatory purchase of insurance in case of an accident.
Lastly, electric scooters will not be allowed to ride faster than 30km/h.
Councillor for mobitlity, José Ramón González, submitted the first proposal for regulation for public debate in January 2019.
The final text is expected to be ‘imminently’ approved and will take immediate effect.
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04
- Driver confuses Barcelona’s ‘busiest’ Metro entrance with car park and goes bumper-first down staircase - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:17
- Woman killed after firework ‘shot into her mouth’ and exploded at Spanish festival - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:06
- British man, 46, arrested after stabbing 20-year-old at 11AM in a bar in Alfaz del Pi on the Costa Blanca - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:45