THE entire Easyjet fleet has been grounded due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The budget airline said it was unable to say when flights will take off again, citing the ‘unprecedented travel restrictions’ adopted by governments around the world to fight COVID-19.
It comes after most flights had to be cancelled already although it had been operating ‘rescue’ flights to bring stranded Brits home.
Cabin crew will be furloughed and staff will receive 80% of their wage from April 1 via the UK government’s emergency job retention package.
The airline, based at London Garwick, has 331 planes operating 1,059 routes and serving 159 airports.
CEO Johan Lundgren said in a statement he was ‘working tirelessly’ to make sure the airline was ‘well positioned to overcome the challenges of coronaviurs.’
“I am extremely proud of the way in which people across EasyJet have given their absolute best at such a challenging time,” he added.
Easyjet operated its last rescue flight on Sunday but will carry out more ‘as requested’.