A DAILY record of 1,318 new COVID-19 cases in the Valencian Community has spurred on the regional government to propose introducing a midnight to 5.00am curfew across the region.

Yesterday’s(October 20) highest single-day number of new infections, as well five deaths, has given extra impetus to something that Valencian president, Ximo Puig, has been mulling over for the last few days.

Valencian Health Minister, Ana Barcelo, said: “With the cold weather coming, the situation is likely to worsen and I appeal for all citizens to stop the pandemic advancing.”

Though the region still has the lowest case rates in mainland Spain, there is serious concern over the recent upward spike in cases and a rise in hospitalisations.

Restrictions were introduced to parts of the area last week with Elche and Orihuela coming under special measures due to a large number of localised cases.

Factors behind the curfew idea include trying to stop the number of illegal night-time outdoor gatherings involving young people as well as preventing large gatherings in private homes.

Another concern is said to be the looming Halloween weekend at the end of the month when many parties take place.

The midnight start-time will mean an early closure for bars and restaurants but the government does not believe that it will have too adverse an effect on the hospitality industry.

The curfew proposal has to be approved by the national government in Madrid.

European Cricket Championship

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.