NEW measures are to be announced tomorrow(November 6) to reduce the spread of the coronavirus across the Valencian Community.

President Ximo Puig said action will be taken over some municipalities and social gatherings, where currently a maximum of six people are allowed to meet in private and public.

The region has already announced that a one-week border closure has been extended by an extra seven days to November 13.

That’s in addition to the night-curfew that will run until at least December 9.

Puig is expected to announce travel restrictions for some towns and cities with high infection rates, which could include people having to stay within their own area.

It’s unclear whether the new rules will include extra restrictions on the hospitality industry, with bars and restaurants over most of the Costa Blanca having to stop service at 11.00pm.

The closure time is earlier in areas under extra measures like Elche and Orihuela.

The neighbouring Murcia region has imposed a fortnight closure for bars and restaurants starting this Saturday(November 7).

Asked about hospitality, Ximo Puig said: “The most appropriate measures would be taken which reflect the social and economic reality of the region.”

Earlier this week, his deputy, Monica Oltra, said: ” Most of the infections are happening in meetings between families and friends which basically occur in the hospitality industry and we have to restrict them to preserve health and life,”

Those comments sparked rumours that a hospitality shutdown was imminent but the government stressed that option ‘was not on the table’.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.