15 May, 2026 @ 10:58
1 min read

‘We protect them and they block our bases’: US questions value of alliance with Spain again during visit to China

The US has doubled down on its criticism of Spain over Madrid’s refusal to allow the use of its military bases for strikes on Iran, raising fresh questions over the future of the NATO alliance.

During a state visit to China, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio pointed to Spain as an example of why Washington was questioning “the purpose of the alliance.”

Speaking to Fox News on Thursday, Rubio said: “When the primary reason why NATO is good for America is now being denied to us by Spain, as an example, then what’s the purpose of the alliance?

“They are allies when they want to be,” he added.

READ MORE: Spanish foreign minister calls for creation of EU army amid doubts over US commitment to NATO

The remarks come amid escalating tensions between the two countries since the start of the Iran conflict on February 28, with US President Donald Trump threatening a trade embargo, Spain’s suspension from NATO, and troop withdrawals.

Spain’s Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares told POLITICO on Tuesday that Spain would not abandon its commitment to international law despite mounting pressure from Washington.

“We want our relationship [with the US] to move forward in the same way, but we won’t renounce our principles,” he said.

Albares also urged the EU to strengthen its own defence capabilities amid growing doubts over Washington’s long-term commitment to NATO.

“We cannot be waking up every morning wondering what the US will do next. Our citizens deserve better,” Albares said in a separate interview with POLITICO on Monday.

READ MORE: Spain summons Israel envoy over detention of ‘kidnapped’ Gaza flotilla activist

Earlier this month, the US president withdrew 5,000 troops from Germany after Chancellor Friedrich Merz said Iran was humiliating the US in negotiations aimed at ending the conflict.

Tensions have continued to rise amid American complaints over what it sees as insufficient European support for operations in Iran and the Strait of Hormuz, which has remained largely closed to commercial shipping.

Spain has emerged as one of the strongest critics of Trump’s Middle East policy, describing the war as ‘absurd, cruel and illegal.’

Madrid also denied the use of its military bases in Rota and Moron for strikes on Iran, prompting Trump to threaten a “total” trade embargo on Spain.

Trump has repeatedly criticised NATO and has previously threatened to withdraw the US from the alliance altogether.

READ MORE: American firefighters from US base in Cadiz help extinguish deadly blaze on same day Trump threatens to pull troops from Spain

Click here to read more International Affairs News from The Olive Press.

I am a Madrid-based Olive Press trainee and a journalism student with NCTJ-accredited News Associates. With bylines in the Sunday Times, I love writing about science, the environment, crime, and culture. Contact me with any leads at alessio@theolivepress.es

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Previous Story

Foreign workers in Spain hit record high after almost 100,000 jobs added in April – with impact of Pedro Sanchez’s migrant amnesty yet to be felt 

3 bedroom Terraced Villa for sale in Denia with pool garage - € 349
Next Story

3 bedroom Terraced Villa for sale in Denia with pool garage – € 349,000

Previous Story

Foreign workers in Spain hit record high after almost 100,000 jobs added in April – with impact of Pedro Sanchez’s migrant amnesty yet to be felt 

3 bedroom Terraced Villa for sale in Denia with pool garage - € 349
Next Story

3 bedroom Terraced Villa for sale in Denia with pool garage – € 349,000

Latest from International Affairs

Create a free account, or log in.

Gain access to read this article, plus limited free content.

Yes! I would like to receive new content and updates.

Go toTop