By Wendy Williams
PET owners are demanding compensation after test results confirmed a link between Mercadona’s own brand dog food and kidney failure.
Tests have shown the new packets of Compy wet dog food contain too much vitamin D due to ‘human error’.
The manufacturer confirmed the results last night and issued a public apology.
It comes after several dogs around the country had to be put down after eating the food.
“According to veterinarian reports this vitamin D increase could cause urine problems although only in cases where the pet has had a high dose or persistent quantities,” explained Miguel Fernandez, a spokesman for manufacturer Tunaliment which belongs to Escuris.
“Tunaliment wants to thank the consumers who alerted it to this incident for their collaboration, which enabed the company to give a quick and effective response.
“Furthermore, Tunaliment is sorry for the inconvenience this problem has caused and wants to apologise publicly to all the clients whose pets may have been affected.”
He added: “Tunaliment also wants to highlight that other Compy products maintain the same quality they have always had.
“There is only more Vitamin D in the products in the new cartons. It is impossible that the old packets have the same problem as everything is the same as before, but anyone who is concerned should call the helpline and we will be able to offer a more detailed explanation.”
The product was taken off the shelves in 190 stores in Albacete, Alicante, Murcia and North Almeria last week and clients are being offered a full refund.
But many pet owners still believe the problem is more widespread, and that further explanation is needed.
“We need to be sure there is nothing wrong with their other foods, because many people are coming forward from other areas such as the Costa del Sol, where we are led to believe the poisonous product was not on sale,” said John Beachcomber, who launched a Facebook page to warn owners after his friend’s beloved Labrador-cross Goldie had to be put on a drip for five hours a day.
He added: “It was ‘human error’ that caused the high vitamin D levels.
“And there is now the question of compensation!”
This is something that has been echoed by dog owners around Spain.
“They offered a refund of the five packs I have left but what about the vet bills, the fact I may loose my little boy and the amount spent every week since they changed the food?” questioned Steve King.
Meanwhile Dee Murray, who had to put down her German shepherd Aly (pictured) after she became ill from eating Mercadona dog food, wants to know how it was allowed to go on sale in the first place.
“We have just had to put our beloved Aly down after she fell ill in early December.
“It was one of the worse days of my life to have to make that decision. We had her since she was five weeks old.
“I am so angry that it was more than likely the dog food from Mercadona that ended her life and that I put her through all that pain by buying it and feeding her it.
“I am so annoyed that I had to find this out after loosing Aly, when if Mercadona had done or said something earlier she may still be alive.”
For more information, contact Tunaliment on the 24-hour phone line 619113976 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46