- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Roman statues rescued in Spain
• The figures were traced to a finca in Cordoba
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A PAIR of first century bronze statues about to be sold on the black market have been recovered by police in Jaen.
The Roman figures, valued at six million euros each, were taken from the ancient Roman site of Sacilis Marcialis and are believed to form part of the Castor and Polix sculpture in Cordoba.
The statues, 1.50m and 1.30m in size, depict two naked males, with each piece weighing about 30 kilos and in a good state of conservation, although one has lost part of his chest and the other his genitals.
Police managed to trace the figures to a finca in Pedro Abad, in Cordoba, owned by two brothers who were planning to sell them for half their value.
According to police commissioner Daniel Salgado they were about to be sold on the black market to an Italian buyer via an intermediary.
Interpol are now hunting for the buyer.
One of the brothers has also been arrested and two other people charged with a crime against heritage and the attempted smuggling of historic property.
The statues will now be taken to the Cordoba Museum to be restored.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]