- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Torrential rains flood Malaga as province remains on orange alert
• VINUELA FLOODING: This photograph by Olive Press reader Barry Foote shows the tunnel under the main road leading to Cortijos Romero and the Hotel Viñuela. The road sign shows the water depth to be approaching two metres
SEVERE weather warnings remain in place across the Malaga province after a weekend of heavy rain and thunderstorms.
The alert affects the Costa del Sol, the Guadalhorce Valley and the Axarquia.
Malaga city centre was hit particularly hard on Saturday with many flooded streets around the El Corte Ingles department store. Many traffic lights were out of order causing major delays on some roads.
The 112 emergency service reported that they attended over three hundred incidents in Malaga in a five-hour period, mainly in the capital, due to the downpour.
Flooding of houses, garages, and basements and problems on the road network were the main reason for alerting the emergency services.
So far some 30 families have had to be evacuated from their homes in the province.
There have been no reports of personal injury.
- Do you have photographs of the flooding or clean-up operations in your local area? Email your images to [email protected] and we’ll publish the best here.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…