- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Caminito del Rey to get long-overdue makeover
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
IT will come as the perfect Reyes present for thrill-seekers around Andalucia.
El Chorro gorge’s infamous Caminito del Rey is to finally get its long-awaited makeover.
The walkway, that clings spectacularly above a 400 foot drop, is to have €3.2 million spent repairing it in preparation to open it to the public in 2015.
The project was announced in the official BOP on December 31 after being signed off by regional boss Elias Bendodo just before Christmas.
After three years of wranglings, some €2.3million will be spent reinforcing it this year, with the rest being invested in 2015.
The path, which has led to the deaths of dozens of people over the last few decades, is expected to become a key tourism draw for the region.
It was originally built to aid construction workers get materials to build the dam across the Guadalhorce river.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]