THE widely criticised restoration of Matrera castle in Cadiz has won an international architecture prize.
A Spanish heritage body had called the refurbishment of the 1,000-year-old fortress ‘lamentable’, but on Tuesday it won the popular vote in the architecture and preservation category of the Architize A+ awards.
The projects leading architect Carlos Quevedo, will travel to New York in May to collect the award.
He said: “We are very happy, I am proud of the work we’ve done and we want to celebrate. It is very important for us because it is a recognition for all the work we have done over five years.”
He added that those who criticised the work were upset by change.
Cultural heritage campaigners Hispania Nostra said the project was ‘truly lamentable’.
“No words are needed, you just need to look at the photographs,” it said.
Architecture has seen a growing trend of restoring ruins with blank additions.
- WATCH: Aircraft and dozens of firefighters called to huge forest fire in Spain’s Andalucia - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44