SPAIN’S most obese man has undergone drastic surgery in a bid to reduce his weight by 440lbs.
Juan Manuel Heredia, from Algeciras, underwent a gastric laparoscopic bypass surgery at a Granada hospital.
The 29-year-old weighed 660lbs prior to his operation and is expecting to lose around 440 over the next 18 to 24 months.
Doctor’s had to use a specialised table and surgical equipments in the operating theatre due to his size.
He was given a double-wide bed and had to be moved using a crane due to his weight.
The heaviest man in Spain suffers from extreme co-morbidity with sleep apnea, diabetes, incipient hypertension, severe fatty liver, respiratory difficulties and deformed joints caused by excessive weight and pressure.
The surgical team used a technique that leaves the majority of the patient’s stomach cut off, meaning they can only absorb a tiny amount of food.
Juan has started on a programme to help him lose 33lbs a month incorporating diet and exercise, and slowly reducing the pace of his weight loss to nine or 11 pounds per month.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03