SPAIN’S most obese man has undergone drastic surgery in a bid to reduce his weight by 440lbs.
Juan Manuel Heredia, from Algeciras, underwent a gastric laparoscopic bypass surgery at a Granada hospital.
The 29-year-old weighed 660lbs prior to his operation and is expecting to lose around 440 over the next 18 to 24 months.
Doctor’s had to use a specialised table and surgical equipments in the operating theatre due to his size.
He was given a double-wide bed and had to be moved using a crane due to his weight.
The heaviest man in Spain suffers from extreme co-morbidity with sleep apnea, diabetes, incipient hypertension, severe fatty liver, respiratory difficulties and deformed joints caused by excessive weight and pressure.
The surgical team used a technique that leaves the majority of the patient’s stomach cut off, meaning they can only absorb a tiny amount of food.
Juan has started on a programme to help him lose 33lbs a month incorporating diet and exercise, and slowly reducing the pace of his weight loss to nine or 11 pounds per month.
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27