SPAIN’S most obese man has undergone drastic surgery in a bid to reduce his weight by 440lbs.
Juan Manuel Heredia, from Algeciras, underwent a gastric laparoscopic bypass surgery at a Granada hospital.
The 29-year-old weighed 660lbs prior to his operation and is expecting to lose around 440 over the next 18 to 24 months.
Doctor’s had to use a specialised table and surgical equipments in the operating theatre due to his size.
He was given a double-wide bed and had to be moved using a crane due to his weight.
The heaviest man in Spain suffers from extreme co-morbidity with sleep apnea, diabetes, incipient hypertension, severe fatty liver, respiratory difficulties and deformed joints caused by excessive weight and pressure.
The surgical team used a technique that leaves the majority of the patient’s stomach cut off, meaning they can only absorb a tiny amount of food.
Juan has started on a programme to help him lose 33lbs a month incorporating diet and exercise, and slowly reducing the pace of his weight loss to nine or 11 pounds per month.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19