SPAIN’S most obese man has undergone drastic surgery in a bid to reduce his weight by 440lbs.
Juan Manuel Heredia, from Algeciras, underwent a gastric laparoscopic bypass surgery at a Granada hospital.
The 29-year-old weighed 660lbs prior to his operation and is expecting to lose around 440 over the next 18 to 24 months.
Doctor’s had to use a specialised table and surgical equipments in the operating theatre due to his size.
He was given a double-wide bed and had to be moved using a crane due to his weight.
The heaviest man in Spain suffers from extreme co-morbidity with sleep apnea, diabetes, incipient hypertension, severe fatty liver, respiratory difficulties and deformed joints caused by excessive weight and pressure.
The surgical team used a technique that leaves the majority of the patient’s stomach cut off, meaning they can only absorb a tiny amount of food.
Juan has started on a programme to help him lose 33lbs a month incorporating diet and exercise, and slowly reducing the pace of his weight loss to nine or 11 pounds per month.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33