THE leaders of Spain’s main political parties addressed concerns over Brexit in their final day of campaigning ahead of the general election on Sunday.
The Popular Party, lead by acting Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, tried to reassure Spaniards of the stability of their country’s financial system
He told supporters in Madrid: “I think I represent the feelings of the vast majority of Spaniards when I defend Spain’s commitment to the European integration process, the importance of euro zone stability and continuing the reform of our economic and monetary union.”
Leader of the far left Podemos, Pablo Iglesias, demanded policy changes in the bloc, citing Brexit as a wake up call.
He told a rally in Madrid: “Nobody would want to leave a Europe of fairness and solidarity.”
In Seville, the Socialist Party’s Pedro Sanchez urged Spain to ‘reflect on some people’s irresponsible behaviour of offering binary yes-no solutions to complex problems’, seemingly suggesting the referendum was too complex to be put down to a yes or no vote.
Ciudadanos and its leader Albert Rivera labelled Brexit as “an opportunity to relaunch the common European project”.
While Spain want to remain in the EU, recent polls suggest France and others now want their own referendum on EU membership.
The UK voted to leave to EU on June 23 with a 52% majority.
Spain’s general election is on Sunday June 26.
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35