THE 100 richest people in Spain are worth the equivalent of 18% of the country’s GDP.
The stinkingly rich group have amassed a fortune worth a combined €198 billion – an increase of 4.8% from last year.
Leaders of textiles and food giants lead the way, with Zara’s Amancio Ortega and Mercadona’s Juan Roig taking first and second place respectively.
Roig is worth €8 billion while Ortega’s €71 billion fortune is worth more than the next 23 on the list combined.
His Inditex fashion house is home to brands including Massimo Dutti, Zara and Pull & Bear, while his property portfolio features hotels and skyscrapers from Madrid to Miami.
Third on the list is Rafael del Pino, owner of construction giant Ferrovial, who is worth €7.65 billion.
Daughter to Ortega, Sandra Ortega, takes fourth with €7.6 billion, while Mango CEO Isak Andic closes out the top five with a net worth of €4.2 billion.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03