FOUR of Spain’s top ten most visited monuments are in Andalucia.
A list compiled by El Pais shows that the La Alhambra in Granada received 2.5 million visitors last year, and was the fourth most visited in the country.
The stunning palace and fortress was originally constructed in 889 AD before being renovated by Moors in the 13th century.
Cordoba’s La Mezquita – a stunning mosque originating from the 8th century – featured at number six with 1.6 million visitors.
The historic place of worship is followed by Sevilla’s Catedral de Santa Maria and Real Alcazar which both received 1.5 million visitors last year.
Andalucia is the most represented region on the list, followed by Madrid which has three monuments and Barcelona with two.
Topping the list with 3.7 million visitors is Gaudi’s Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, or Basilica, which began construction in 1852 and is still undergoing works to its roof structure.
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15