A SPANISH hero who tried to defend a woman from a London terrorist last week has been honoured by Spain posthumously.
Ignacio Echeverria’s home country has awarded him the Grand Cross of the Order of Civil Merit for his bravery.
The 39-year-old, who worked for HSBC in the UK capital, is said to have tried to defend a woman from one of the terrorists with his skateboard in Borough Market.
He was last seen lying on the pavement and became one of the eight killed when his death was confirmed on Wednesday.
Spanish prime minister Mariano Rajoy praised Echeverria, from Madrid, for his ‘heroic and exemplary act’ and recommended him for the award.
The foreign ministry said: “His bravery in standing up for a defenceless person is a reminder of the need to remain united in the face of the scourge of terrorism.”
Friend of Echeverria, Guillermo Sanchez, said they had been walking to dinner from the nearby skatepark when they happened upon the attack.
They saw a woman being assaulted while a police officer had fallen to the ground.
“I’m focusing on her and then, suddenly, I see that Ignacio’s there, starting to hit the attacker with his skateboard.”
He was soon set upon by the terrorists and fell to the ground.
His friends managed to get away.
His hometown Las Rozas held a vigil on Thursday after his body was confirmed the day before.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16