POLICIA Nacional have dismantled a criminal gang which exclusively targeted wealthy tourists in Marbella.
Six Algerian men, between the ages of 26 and 33, have been arrested for their alleged involvement in robbery, belonging to a criminal organisation and an assault of a police officer.
Four of them were arrested in Marbella on Saturday after they successfully stole a watch worth €24,000.
A further two were detained when they arrived at the apartment of those arrested in Fuengirola with the stolen watch some days later.
Subsequently, investigators found a hotel room in Fuengirola where part of the network was staying with false identity documents.
The haul included 10 watches, six latest generation mobile phones, cameras, computer equipment, 650 British pound sterling, a vehicle and jewelry.
According to police, the main targets of the network were foreign tourists with a certain buying power who were holidaying around ??Puerto Banus.
Once the gang had chosen its victim – usually older or intoxicated tourists – two members would tackle them from behind before putting them in a chokehold until they became unconscious.
The group would not hesitate to use violence if they had to.
The technique is known as ‘mataleon’ in Spanish.
After taking their cash and jewelry, the gang would move their victim from view of other tourists and the scene of the crime.
The haul saw a dozen watches worth €400,000 recovered, along with five mobile phones and cash.
It also immediately solved fifteen robberies committed in the Marbella area.
Those arrested have been placed in prison awaiting trial.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15