A NEW poll has shown a third of Spanish women have felt sexually violated at least once.
It comes after survey site, Metroscopia, exposed that 32% of women have experienced this on more than one occasion in their life.
The data also revealed how young women between the ages of 18-34 felt particularly harassed when they had joined university or started a new job.
A staggering 80% of female and male respondents also believe Spain is a predominantly sexist society.
These figures are particularly crucial in the run-up to Spain’s first nationwide women’s strike, taking place on International Women’s Day on Thursday.
In a bid to fight gender inequality and discrimination, women across Spain will not only take part in public protests but will also abandon their usual household tasks, such as cooking, cleaning and childcare.
The poll also exposed that one out of every four women had been groped or had been subjected to attempted gropes and 56% feel that there is a severe lack of effort to prevent sexual harassment.
However, 79% now think sexual harassment is being more openly discussed thanks to recent increased media exposure, following the #MeToo movement.
- Caged ISIS terrorist was planning to bomb popular fair on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Wanted British expat launches metal bench at police officer while being arrested for drug trafficking in Marbella - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- EXCLUSIVE: As Dani Garcia’s Michelin-starred restaurant shuts, top chef spills beans on what Michelin Guide really look for - 12 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- First day of Ryanair Spain strike CALLED OFF today - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 14:32
- TV show Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun returns to small screen this week with new Costa del Sol series - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 12:25
- Spanish government furious after PP party post video on Twitter ‘wishing’ Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to die - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 13:54
- Thousands of Ryanair travellers could be left stranded as three-day strike in Spain starts TOMORROW - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- Spain rescues more than 500 migrants over Three Kings weekend - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 11:25
- EXCLUSIVE: World’s first carnivore retreat is coming to Spain’s Andalucia - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- EXCLUSIVE: Seriously ill Brit spent Christmas and New Year locked up with terrorists in southern Spain and has STILL not been charged with crime - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 10:01