SEVEN malnourished abandoned horses have been found living among manure, rubbish dumps and sharp objects on the Costa Blanca.
A neighbour alerted officials to the animal abuse, in which the horses were living on a private finca in Mutxamel in Alicante.
La Guardia Civil found the starving animals with empty food bowls and hardly any water.
The owner – a 24-year-old Spanish man – is currently being investigated by the Servicio de Protección de la Naturaleza (Seprona) for crimes related to the protection of flora, fauna and domestic animals.
He could be facing up to a year in prison.
The finca and stables were found covered in mud, with manure and piles of rubbish stretching as far as the riding school.
Officials also found a number of sharp objects which could severely injure the animals, such as a pitchfork and scissors.
During the inspection officials discovered the horses were suffering from symptoms of malnutrition and neglect, such as extreme emaciation and a lack of hygiene.
While the horses did not have adequate medical documentation, they were also not legally registered with the Ayuntamiento.
- Spanish chef Dani Garcia to close Marbella restaurant after receiving third Michelin Star last month - 18 Dec, 2018 @ 13:41
- Miss Universe pays emotional tribute to its first ever transgender contestant from Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Downing street slams claims no-deal Brexit could shatter Brits’ holiday plans - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:11
- FOUND: Costa del Sol British expat missing for nearly two weeks found safe in UK - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:08
- Madrid bans old cars from city centre in CRACKDOWN on pollution - 16 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Banksy gets ‘Banksied’ as gallery in Spain exhibits art without his permission - 15 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00
- Spain to banish 5000 pigeons from Cadiz for menacing tourists - 15 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Brits to pay €7 to travel to EU countries after Brexit - 14 Dec, 2018 @ 17:58
- Why a ‘new’ British vegan milk has outraged Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 17:37
- Let’s talk mental health: Why teenage suicide in UK and Spain is on the rise and what parents can do to help - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00