Richard Hill, vice president of Brexpats in Spain, claims plummeting exchange rates, taxes and a rise in the cost of living have caused significant income losses.
It comes as the pound sunk to a new low of just 1.10 to the euro last week, as worries of a hard Brexit magnified.
The pensioner, who claims he’s around 22% ‘worse off’ since the referendum, believes expats will struggle regardless of whatever deal is reached ahead of Britain’s exit from the EU.
The pensioner added: “The significant problem at this stage with Brexit is the fluctuating exchange rate.
It comes after the Rabobank in London warned that a no-deal Brexit could end in euro-sterling parity, while last week saw the pound plummet to an eight-month low.
British expat Karen Watling, from Sheffield, claims she has lost as much as a third of her monthly budget.
“Over two years this has caused us problems financially,” she told the Olive Press. “Prices and commodities have also risen so it has been like a double hit.”
The exchange rate was an average 1.24 in 2014 before climbing to an average 1.38 in 2015.
However the year of the referendum saw the average fall to 1.22 before falling again to 1.14 in 2017. This year so far has been lower at 1.13 and it currently stands at 1.12.
Brexpats in Spain has called for a government-run internet bank offering basic current accounts, debit cards and the option to carry out international and national transfers online.
The group even suggests ordering RBS – the only bank in the UK in which the government has a stake – to provide a basic facility for expats without a UK address.
“The situation could be eased for many people if they could open a UK bank account, with many having closed theirs years ago having moved to Spain permanently.
- British expat pensioners fear no-deal Brexit after already losing more than a fifth of their spending power - 17 Aug, 2018 @ 12:21
- WATCH: Hundreds left injured after wooden walkway collapses into sea at festival in Spain - 13 Aug, 2018 @ 13:52
- Virgin to test the Hyperloop One in Malaga after agreeing a deal with ADIF - 11 Aug, 2018 @ 16:00
- WATCH: Brazen couple have full on beach romp in broad daylight in Spain - 8 Aug, 2018 @ 12:41
- Andalucia calls for redistribution of migrant minors across Spain as infrastructure struggles to cope - 7 Aug, 2018 @ 13:04
- Seven dead in Spain as killer heatwave continues to spread across Europe - 7 Aug, 2018 @ 10:54
- WATCH: Russian Mafia leader arrested on Spain’s Costa del Sol while ‘plotting gang rival’s murder’ - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 18:10
- FOUND: 76-year-old British expat not seen for a week after leaving hospital found ‘injured but alive’ on Costa del Sol - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 10:57
- British lad ‘tried to take a poo over balcony’ before plunging six floors in Spain, remains in critical condition - 3 Aug, 2018 @ 17:15
- Second man dies in southern Spain as heatwave spreads across Europe - 3 Aug, 2018 @ 16:37