PANIC has hit the streets of Estepona tonight after a succession of ‘gunshots’ saw people ‘running for their lives’.
Witnesses have told the Olive Press they heard around nine gunshots before seeing hoardes of people running along the promenade and the bustling Calle Real.
“It was crazy,” one British expat said, “People were in a panic and started running into restaurants.”
The Brit said she was locked inside popular haunt Rincon Toscano for around 20 minutes.
“It was terrifying,” she said, “we had no idea what was happening, we’ve all got memories of what happened in Paris and Barcelona, we thought it might have been a terrorist attack.”
A waiter told the Olive Press: “I was outside serving and I heard boom, boom, boom!
“I thought it was fake then I saw everyone running, it was insane.”
Witnesses said they saw police chasing two men.
They are believed to have been arrested although nothing has been confirmed by the authorities.
The incident is believed to have started outside Mr Noodles.
Restaurants and bars have now unlocked their doors.
The situation is believed to be under control.
More to follow…
- Construction giant to build 700 homes in Mijas in €23 million investment - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 20:37
- British expat pensioners from southern Spain caged AGAIN after allegedly trying to smuggle €2 million cocaine haul on cruise ship - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 19:31
- POLL SHOCKER: Far-right Vox party could form government if Spain held general election tomorrow - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:04
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23