A TORNADO ravaged Menorca yesterday, leaving 38,000 people without power, as Spain saw temperatures plummet by 10°C.
Over 50 trees and poles collapsed on the island, leaving almost all residents without power for at least 24 hours.
At least 70 portable electricity generation units have been shipped in from Barcleona and Valencia to deal with the chaos caused by yet more bad weather for the Balearics, as the islands are still recovering from the floods, which killed 13 people.
Spain’s freak weather has also led to the disappearance of two hikers in the Pyrenees and Asturias, as the first snow of the year fell over the weekend, including in Andalucia.
An Arctic mass of wind entered the peninsula on Friday and the resultant snow has also caused huge disruptions to trains, as well as power outages in the north of the country.
Andalucia got its first taste of winter on Sunday as snow fell in the Sierra Bermeja area, with the drastically reduced temperatures expected to last until Wednesday.
The Balearic Islands remain on yellow alert, as do Almeria and Granada, while AEMET, Spain’s weather agency has issued an orange warning to parts of northeastern Spain.
- UK Trade Secretary Liam Fox in Gibraltar for Brexit crunch talks hours after Theresa May survives no-confidence vote - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- WATCH: International fugitive who ‘shot man in belly with AK47’ arrested in family park on Costa del Sol - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- FLASH SALE: Ryanair offers €20 tickets to celebrate new route from Spain’s Malaga to Morocco - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 16:27
- Tunnels now being drilled to save little Julen trapped in well but rain forecasts could complicate rescue - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 15:40
- VOX number two reveals UK police STILL have search warrant for him after Spanish flag prank in Gibraltar - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:18
- Spanish comedian who blew nose on national flag set to have court case dropped - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:18
- Labour table no confidence vote in UK government as Theresa May loses Brexit deal vote by majority of 230 - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 21:20
- ‘OFF THE WALL’ UK Defence Secretary suggests firing paintballs at Spanish Navy to protect Gibraltar’s waters - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:02
- WATCH: Suspected ISIS terrorist led away by police as Costa del Sol Muslim leader condemns planned attack - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 16:46
- WATCH: Feminists camp outside Andalucian parliament to protest FAR-RIGHT support of new government - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47