THE Junta has refused to back down over its tough housing policy stance in the Axarquia region despite local mayors threatening a mass walk out.
The regional body stood its ground and confirmed that it will draw up the latest development plan (PGOU) with or without the support of the 16 mayors within the area.
It also revealed that the plan will not automatically legalise all the estimated 10,000 illegal builds.
Councillor for Housing and Planning, Juan Espadas, said: “The mayors can either choose to collaborate with us on this or resort to further conflict.”
“First of all, we need to set out some distinct rules, which is the aim of the development plan, and then we will see clearly where the illegal builds stand.”
This hard stance will come as a blow for the group of mayors who originally felt “tricked” by the Junta for making policy decisions without sufficient collaboration.
Meanwhile, Espadas added the the Junta will soon be turning its critical gaze towards builds within the Serrania de Ronda and the Guadalhorce valley.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00