The mayor of Vinuela has been banned from holding public office for 15 years after being found guilty of issuing illegal building licenses.
Socialist Juan Millan was also ordered to pay a 13,500 euro fine for his real estate crimes.
The court ruled that he granted licenses on unsuitable land without waiting for technical or judicial reports to be completed.
“Everyone knows what was going on with regards to the building projects.”
It concluded that “there was a total and absolute absence of the essential paperwork or procedure” in the Pago Guerro area.
Millan had previously maintained that he acted correct at all times, choosing to blame the Junta for its “silence” and lack of guidance.
“I issued the licenses because I know La Vinuela like the palm of my hand,” Millan had explained.
“Everyone knows what was going on with regard to the building projects.”
The court investigated three cases of illegal licenses, two granted in 2001 and one in 2003.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00