SPAIN’S most famous bullfighter has been seriously gored in Mexico.
Matador Jose Tomas is in intensive care after suffering a six-inch deep gouge in his thigh.
Renowned Tomas, 34, required an eight-litre blood transfusion after his ill-fated fight in the town of Aguascalientes.
“He needed a transfusion of eight litres of blood – the human body normally contains just five litres.”
Fears were so great regarding the torero’s severe loss of blood that an announcement was quickly made over the bullring’s tannoy asking for fellow A-blood type spectators to step forward.
“It is a very deep wound,” his manager, Salvador Boix, said. “He has been operated on for three and a half hours.
“He needed a transfusion of eight litres of blood – the human body normally contains just five litres.
“The hospital is well-equipped, but this was a very bad goring and Jose Tomas is in a serious condition.”
According to El Pais, the bullfighter’s injury was so serious that surgeons were forced to operate before having even anaesthetised Tomas.
The chilling video of the goring can be seen at http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/25/bullfighter-gored-catalonia-jose-tomas.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00