SPAIN’S most famous bullfighter has been seriously gored in Mexico.
Matador Jose Tomas is in intensive care after suffering a six-inch deep gouge in his thigh.
Renowned Tomas, 34, required an eight-litre blood transfusion after his ill-fated fight in the town of Aguascalientes.
“He needed a transfusion of eight litres of blood – the human body normally contains just five litres.”
Fears were so great regarding the torero’s severe loss of blood that an announcement was quickly made over the bullring’s tannoy asking for fellow A-blood type spectators to step forward.
“It is a very deep wound,” his manager, Salvador Boix, said. “He has been operated on for three and a half hours.
“He needed a transfusion of eight litres of blood – the human body normally contains just five litres.
“The hospital is well-equipped, but this was a very bad goring and Jose Tomas is in a serious condition.”
According to El Pais, the bullfighter’s injury was so serious that surgeons were forced to operate before having even anaesthetised Tomas.
The chilling video of the goring can be seen at http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/25/bullfighter-gored-catalonia-jose-tomas.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00