IT didn’t take long.
Just a year after the town of Villanueva de la Concepcion was given its own independent status, its mayor has been arrested in a bribery and corruption scandal.
The young leader Ernesto Jose Silva, 27, was arrested along with three others over a planning scandal that is said to include payments in return for licences.
Prosecutors confirmed that the four – including a professor at Malaga University – were being accused of bribery, corruption and trafficking of influences.
The town was only given independence from nearby Antequera in March 2009.
Initially Silva (pictured right), who represents the indepdent Foro Andaluz party, claimed that the investigation was to do with the previous administration.
Seprona, the Guardia Civil’s environmental arm however insisted it involved him, after it searched the offices of the Town Hall.
Councillors and all other workers were denied access as the search went on.
Later, professor Juan Hurtado, who works in the Law Department, of Malaga University was dramatically led away in handcuffs.He was reported to have been helping the town hall in some legal matters.
Town hall architect and another councillor Jose Conejo were also arrested.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00