By Nicola Cowell
A COUNTRY with perpetual sun, lower taxes and cheaper property, you would think Spain would be top of the list of places to retire.
Well, not according to new research taken by the Homebuyer and Property Investor Show.
In fact, Spain did not even make the top five in the poll, which looked at eight factors to decide where retirees got the best deal.
Cyprus came top, scoring highly on income tax, inheritance and property tax, property prices and ease of buying a home, health, climate and culture.
Also in the top five were Belize, France, Panama and Italy.
According to researchers, people think they will pay less tax when they move to Spain but are not aware that they will have to pay wealth tax as well.
Retirees are also liable to pay inheritance tax on assets passed from husband to wife and vice versa, and the rate can be as much as 30 per cent.
And while the poll gave Spain a culture score of eight out of ten, this is only if you are prepared to learn Spanish.
Without learning the lingo, however, the culture score drops to a disappointing three points.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00