By Nicola Cowell
A COUNTRY with perpetual sun, lower taxes and cheaper property, you would think Spain would be top of the list of places to retire.
Well, not according to new research taken by the Homebuyer and Property Investor Show.
In fact, Spain did not even make the top five in the poll, which looked at eight factors to decide where retirees got the best deal.
Cyprus came top, scoring highly on income tax, inheritance and property tax, property prices and ease of buying a home, health, climate and culture.
Also in the top five were Belize, France, Panama and Italy.
According to researchers, people think they will pay less tax when they move to Spain but are not aware that they will have to pay wealth tax as well.
Retirees are also liable to pay inheritance tax on assets passed from husband to wife and vice versa, and the rate can be as much as 30 per cent.
And while the poll gave Spain a culture score of eight out of ten, this is only if you are prepared to learn Spanish.
Without learning the lingo, however, the culture score drops to a disappointing three points.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00