COINCIDING with the 129th anniversary of the birth of the famous Spanish artist, the Picasso Museum in Malaga has revealed 43 new works.
Seven years after opening its doors in the Palacio de Buenavista, the museum now boasts a permanent collection of 276 pieces.
The new additions come on a 15 year loan from the Almine and Bernard Ruiz-Picasso Art Foundation, (FABA), created eight years ago by the Malaga painter’s grandson.
And some of the paintings and sculptures – including Woman outside a Dance Hall (1899) – are being shown in the gallery for the very first time.
In a new layout spread across 11 themed rooms, the stunning collection gives the viewer a rare glimpse into the trajectory of Picasso’s career which lasted for eight decades.
With pieces spanning the painter’s whole lifetime, from Girl with a Doll, dated 1896-1897, showing the work of a young
Picasso, barely 16 at the time, to his latest work: Seated Figure, dated 1971 painted when the artist was almost 90.
But according to the museum director, Jose Lebrero, the new layout moves away from “a chronological or formal approach” and gives the viewer “a lot more room to make their own routes” to appreciate the work of this “radical artist.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00