COINCIDING with the 129th anniversary of the birth of the famous Spanish artist, the Picasso Museum in Malaga has revealed 43 new works.
Seven years after opening its doors in the Palacio de Buenavista, the museum now boasts a permanent collection of 276 pieces.
The new additions come on a 15 year loan from the Almine and Bernard Ruiz-Picasso Art Foundation, (FABA), created eight years ago by the Malaga painter’s grandson.
And some of the paintings and sculptures – including Woman outside a Dance Hall (1899) – are being shown in the gallery for the very first time.
In a new layout spread across 11 themed rooms, the stunning collection gives the viewer a rare glimpse into the trajectory of Picasso’s career which lasted for eight decades.
With pieces spanning the painter’s whole lifetime, from Girl with a Doll, dated 1896-1897, showing the work of a young
Picasso, barely 16 at the time, to his latest work: Seated Figure, dated 1971 painted when the artist was almost 90.
But according to the museum director, Jose Lebrero, the new layout moves away from “a chronological or formal approach” and gives the viewer “a lot more room to make their own routes” to appreciate the work of this “radical artist.”
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00