THEY are called laptops for precisely that reason.
But men, who balance their laptop computers on their knees, could be unwittingly damaging their fertility.
A new study has found that when men place their laptops on their laps instead of on their desks, they are overheating their testicles which could be damaging their sperm.
Researchers from New York’s State University asked 29 young men to work on computers in this way before measuring the change in temperature in their genital area.
They found that testicles quickly heated up to dangerous levels, even when they used laptop pads as a buffer.
Overall, temperatures rose by up to 2.5C in just one hour.
Alarmingly, earlier research has shown that warming the scrotum even more than one degree is enough to damage sperm.
Study leader, Professor Yelim Sheynkin, said: “Millions and millions of men are using laptops especially those in the reproductive age range.
“Within 10 or 15 minutes the temperature is already above what we consider safe, but they don’t feel it.”
He warned that frequent use might contribute to reproductive problems because “the scrotum doesn’t have time to cool down”.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00