THE death of the last female brown bear in the Spanish Pyrenees marks the end of the species.
Camille, who was thought to be about 20 years old, has not been sighted since February 5, and is now “almost certainly dead”.
Her death has been described as “the blackest of omens” for the endangered species, by Ecologistas en Accion.
The group blames the French and Spanish authorities for failing to offer adequate protection to the few remaining animals.
The group confirmed that despite keeping a close eye on the bear population for the last 30 years and investing tens of millions of euros into saving the endangered animal, numbers have been steadily decreasing.
In fact the entire population of European brown bears (Ursus arctos) in the Pyrenees is thought to number between just 19 and 22, following the relocation of bears from Slovenia and Croatia to help boost the native species.
Earlier this year the French government caved in to pressure from shepherds who claimed the bears were killing their livestock.
It announced it would abandon a 20-year initiative to repopulate the Pyrenees with brown bears.
The last native female bear living on the French side was shot by hunters in 2004.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00