THE death of the last female brown bear in the Spanish Pyrenees marks the end of the species.
Camille, who was thought to be about 20 years old, has not been sighted since February 5, and is now “almost certainly dead”.
Her death has been described as “the blackest of omens” for the endangered species, by Ecologistas en Accion.
The group blames the French and Spanish authorities for failing to offer adequate protection to the few remaining animals.
The group confirmed that despite keeping a close eye on the bear population for the last 30 years and investing tens of millions of euros into saving the endangered animal, numbers have been steadily decreasing.
In fact the entire population of European brown bears (Ursus arctos) in the Pyrenees is thought to number between just 19 and 22, following the relocation of bears from Slovenia and Croatia to help boost the native species.
Earlier this year the French government caved in to pressure from shepherds who claimed the bears were killing their livestock.
It announced it would abandon a 20-year initiative to repopulate the Pyrenees with brown bears.
The last native female bear living on the French side was shot by hunters in 2004.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00