A MUSLIM family have denounced a La Linea geography teacher for talking about Jamon during his class.
The teacher, Jose Reyes Fernandez, was explaining how cold climate in Granada’s highlands helps to preserve the region’s famous pig legs.
The pupil politely asked him not to mention pork while he was around.
To which Fernandez responded by saying: “there are 30 pupils in this class and one should have to adapt to 29 and not the other way around.”
The student’s parents denounced the teacher to the police the next day for making xenophobic remarks.
Yet officials across the government departments have dismissed the allegations as ‘completely unfounded’.
The president of Spain’s Islamic federation has also spoken in support of the teacher, saying the Koran prohibits eating ham but not talking about it.
Cadiz justice authorities have reportedly asked a judge to ‘archive away’ the case as soon as possible.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00