TREASURE hunters are using information from WikiLeaks in a deply contested battle over 400 million euros worth of gold and silver found in the wreckage of a Spanish galleon in 2007.
Florida based Odyssey Marine Exploration have been fighting with Spain in the United States Court of Appeal, but the American Justice Department support Spain’s claim.
Odyssey say the cables show that there was a secret agreement between the two nations in which America would assist Spain secure the treasure.
In exchange, Spain would help return a 15 million euro Pissaro painting based in a Madrid museum to a California family who claim it was stolen by the Nazis.
- Expat female chef chases off machete-wielding robbers - 18 Mar, 2011 @ 06:00
- People who study are healthier - 18 Mar, 2011 @ 05:30
- Poet Carlos Pranger: The new Brenan - 18 Mar, 2011 @ 05:00
- Spanish women are having fewer children - 17 Mar, 2011 @ 07:15
- Pill bargaining - 17 Mar, 2011 @ 07:00
- Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum set to open in Malaga - 16 Mar, 2011 @ 08:00
- Spain complains about Gibraltar landfill plans - 16 Mar, 2011 @ 08:00
- Operation nuclear clean-up - 15 Mar, 2011 @ 08:30
- Sevilla royal visit for Prince Charles and Camilla - 14 Mar, 2011 @ 10:56
- Ruffled feathers in Ronda - 14 Mar, 2011 @ 08:45