By Mason Jones
Two people have been killed and one seriously injured in an explosion at a fireworks factory.
The blast is thought to have happened at 11.30am on Thursday in La Gorgoracha, Granada as workers were moving firework casings.
A married couple and a second woman were immediately rushed to hospital.
The man, since named as Elias Leon, and is wife died later while in the intensive care unit.
Owner of the firework company, Esteban Martin, said the explosion occurred in a bunker of the factory and that two of the injured were very experienced workers.
Motril mayor Luisa Garcia Chamorro has criticised the two hour delay for the arrival of rescue helicopters.
A similar explosion occurred at a storage facility owned by the same company in August 2005.
The Guardia Civil are launching an investigation into what caused the accident.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10