REMAINS found on an estate belonging to the father of missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton, just two days after they vanished, have been confirmed as those of his children.
The grim discovery follows an independent forensic report commissioned by the children’s mother into the origin of the remains, found in a bonfire at finca Las Quemadillas in Cordoba, after police originally claimed they belonged to an animal.
But the findings have now been backed by a second report, commissioned by the government, confirming the teeth and bones are those of two young children aged two and six.
According to Francisco Etxeberria, who led the forensic investigation, the children were burned at a temperature of 800 degrees so that the remains were cremated and DNA would have been destroyed.
The children’s mother, Ruth Ortiz, who has campaigned tirelessly to find her children, is said to be ‘devastated’ by the news.
However Jose Breton, who has been in custody since October 2011 and will now face charges of murder, has dismissed the latest findings.
“It is totally false and impossible that the bones are those of my children,” he said via his lawyer.
More than 15 searches – involving dogs and radar – have been carried out at the Las Quemadillas estate since the youngsters disappeared nearly a year ago but no trace of them had been found.
Questions are now being asked as to why the police failed to correctly identify the remains in the early stages of the investigation.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46