EXCLUSIVE By Jon Clarke
ONE of Brazil’s most famous conductors claims to have been hospitalised after a racially motivated attack by Spanish police over Christmas.
Israel de França, a violinist, was allegedly assaulted on Christmas Eve, in Granada, while on a night out with a friend.
The black musician – who has been living in Spain for a number of years – claims that he was beaten up by four National Police officers.
He insisted he was rounded up from a bar in the Zaidin area of the city, where he was drinking with his white friend and taken to a nearby building where he was assaulted.
De Franca, a violinist with the Granada Chamber Orchestra, now insists he is to sue the Spanish force and claims it is the second time he has been assaulted.
He told a Brazilian TV station Globo: “They took me to a building where three officers came in and gave me a strong beating.
“My Brazilian friend stayed outside with a police officer. I am black and my friend is white, and this is something that is adversely affecting my life here in Spain. Now I want to take action.”
He insisted he was left badly injured and was unable to play in an important concert last week.
‘I spent the whole day at the hospital, doing examinations, an x-ray on my arm, on my left hand which now prevents me from playing violin.
“My left leg and arm are badly hurt, and I have lesions on my body.”
Granada police did not wish to comment.
Da Franca should have at least something on his side. He is also the conductor of the choir for the College of Lawyers in Granada.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00