EXCLUSIVE By Jon Clarke
ONE of Brazil’s most famous conductors claims to have been hospitalised after a racially motivated attack by Spanish police over Christmas.
Israel de França, a violinist, was allegedly assaulted on Christmas Eve, in Granada, while on a night out with a friend.
The black musician – who has been living in Spain for a number of years – claims that he was beaten up by four National Police officers.
He insisted he was rounded up from a bar in the Zaidin area of the city, where he was drinking with his white friend and taken to a nearby building where he was assaulted.
De Franca, a violinist with the Granada Chamber Orchestra, now insists he is to sue the Spanish force and claims it is the second time he has been assaulted.
He told a Brazilian TV station Globo: “They took me to a building where three officers came in and gave me a strong beating.
“My Brazilian friend stayed outside with a police officer. I am black and my friend is white, and this is something that is adversely affecting my life here in Spain. Now I want to take action.”
He insisted he was left badly injured and was unable to play in an important concert last week.
‘I spent the whole day at the hospital, doing examinations, an x-ray on my arm, on my left hand which now prevents me from playing violin.
“My left leg and arm are badly hurt, and I have lesions on my body.”
Granada police did not wish to comment.
Da Franca should have at least something on his side. He is also the conductor of the choir for the College of Lawyers in Granada.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00