DUBBED Operation “Britania”, Spain’s National Police have busted and dismantled a sophisticated laboratory with 900 marijuana plants in Andújar, Jaén province in southern Spain.
Two UK citizens have been arrested and 900 marijuana plants along with ten kilograms of narcotics have been seized.
The investigation began in early June with the cooperation of citizens in the area, who had reported the possible existence of a marijuana plantation in the industrial Andújar Station area.
Thanks to the surveillance of National Police deployed in the area, officers noticed two people coming and going in the area. When asked for their identification and what they were doing in the area at such an early hour of the morning, the men said they were renting the building.
Said building turned out to be a sophisticated hydroponic greenhouse. On inspection, officers discovered a greenhouse for the intensive cultivation of marijuana plants. as well as a large cold room and attic which had been converted into a laboratory complex for the production, processing and preparation of narcotic substance.
The greenhouse had high pressure lamps, electric timers, a framework and system for automated irrigation and fertilizer distribution. It is calculated that this would have produced around four crops a year.
The greenhouse comprised several different electrical appliances, water equipment, fertilizers, turbines, fans, air conditioners, exhaust and other equipment. According to estimates, the value could exceed 30,000 euros.
It is also possible that electricity was being used fraudulently in the operation, as the electricity cables do not appear to pass through the normal metering system.
This initiative of the National Police is run through seeking citizen cooperation to combat drug trafficking on both a small and large scale, through the Twitter profile @policia.
- VIDEO: Nightmare returns for illegal homeowners in Spain as Junta once again demolishes foreigners homes - 16 Oct, 2013 @ 08:00
- VIDEO: Two British-owned homes have been demolished in Spain and two more will come down this week - 15 Oct, 2013 @ 11:44
- Spanish name for Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez’s baby boy - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 12:13
- VIDEO: Metropolitan Police release new e-fits in connection with Maddie McCann disappearance - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 10:23
- Louis Vuitton collaborates with Spanish illustrator to create new shopping app ads - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 17:50
- Hilarious holiday complaints revealed by travel company - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 14:16
- Have Enrique Iglesias and Anna Kournikova broken up? - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 08:09
- Protesters strip naked to make a point against animal cruelty - 12 Oct, 2013 @ 14:11
- Spanish doctor ordered to pay up for mis-diagnosis of Wolf Man - 11 Oct, 2013 @ 06:00
- Three netball teams join to raise money for Macmillan Cancer - 9 Oct, 2013 @ 11:27