CASH-STRAPPED Spaniards have bought more bikes than cars for the first time on record.
A total 780,000 new bikes have been sold this year, compared to 700,000 cars as a result of higher taxes on both fuel and new vehicles.
The figures represent a 4% increase in bike sales, and a whopping 30% fall in car sales.
The figures are somewhat shocking for a country which, unlike its neighbours, doesn’t embrace cycling as a means of getting around.
Few people in the country commute to work on their bike, and Spain has one of Europe’s highest fatality rates for road cyclists in Europe.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40