A BRITISH holidaymaker is battling serious injuries after falling more than 50ft from her Malaga hotel room, while sleepwalking.
Amy Wigfull, 24, from Sheffield, is lucky to be alive after suffering a broken back, fractured pelvis, broken ribs, shattered shoulders, bleeding on the brain and a punctured lung.
Amy was put on life-support when she arrived in hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning, but has since been taken off the machine.
Spanish doctors have put her incredible survival down to her relaxed ‘sleep’ state, as she was unaware she had climbed out of the window and fallen.
Amy’s aunt Clare Duffy said: “We are devastated, but we know she is lucky to be alive.
“She went to bed and that was the last thing she knew. If she had been awake when she fell five floors it would have been horrendous.”
Tragically Amy had no holiday insurance – as she believed she was covered for health problems by the free European Health Insurance card – and is now also facing an enormous hospital bill.
“We have no idea what the final bill will be,” added Amy’s aunt. “But we’re not thinking about that, we just want her to get better and back home but it’s going to be a long period of recovery.”
Doctors are waiting for her condition to stabilize before she can have a series of operations.
A display designer at a fashion store, Amy was on a three-day break in Malaga with 14 other women, to celebrate the 40th birthdays of her mum and aunt.
According to toxicology tests, Amy had not taken any drugs and was not drunk at the time of her fall.
Her family are now trying to raise €20,000 to fly her home to Sheffield.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05