A CALORIE counting campaign is being launched in the UK to encourage weight-conscious women to drink less.
Alcoholic drinks should all display the number of calories in the drink, according to British MPs and peers.
“We’ve seen an increase in the number of women drinking and relating that to calorie numbers will have a positive impact,” said Tory MP Tracey Crouch, who chairs the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Alcohol Misuse.
Crouch insists the ‘tiny’ voluntary logos on wine bottles warning consumers to drink responsibly are not enough.
“I don’t see why alcohol labels shouldn’t include evidence-based health-warnings such as ‘excessive alcohol consumption can harm your liver,’” she added.
Make mine a large…
The number of calories in your evening drink:
Pint of Guinness (draught) – 210
Gin and tonic (25ml Gordon’s with standard tonic) – 169
Small glass of white wine (125ml of 13% strength) – 114
Shot of whisky (40ml) – 100
Pint of lager (4% strength) – 189
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05