WHILE other Costa del Sol resorts saw property value drop by up to 70% in the crisis, stubborn La Cala de Mijas remained almost unchanged.
And now the ‘recession-proof’ resort is leading Mijas Costa’s property market recovery – thanks in part to a whole lot of wooden planks.
The new coastal boardwalk, officially opened last October, has become a huge hit, almost too popular on sunny weekends with cyclists, joggers and dog-walkers all vying for space.
“It’s been a massive draw,” explains Andrew Partridge, of La Cala Sales and Rentals.
“But we’ve also got to thank the huge investment from the town hall for driving the market.”
La Cala is certainly going places. A new roundabout and slip-road is under construction, while it counts on some of Mijas’ best schools and medical facilities too.
“People buying property want to do so in an area where it is clear the town hall is investing,” adds Partridge.
Originally from Oxford, he has been working as an estate agent for 20 years in southern Spain, setting up the La Cala office seven years ago, and as a result has been through the good and the bad.
But La Cala stayed strong throughout the crisis, there was always demand simply because the area was never overdeveloped.
In short, the village never got greedy, and is now reaping the rewards, he insists.
He has already had a ‘healthy’ number of sales this year and there are ‘plenty more on the way’.
A lot of this is being helped by the rising value of the pound and the strong UK economy, which is bringing a lot more British buyers back into the market.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44