AN American oil giant has been awarded €18.6 million by Gibraltar’s Supreme Court in its suit against Gibraltar-based Amazonia Recovery Ltd over a multi-billion Ecuadorian fraud.
The court also issued a permanent injunction against Amazonia to block them from supporting the case against Chevron Corp.Hewitt Pate.
- CHEVRON: Oil giants win case
Chevron vice-president, said: “We will continue to seek to hold the perpetrators of this racket accountable for their actions.”
Amazonia Recovery Ltd was set up by American lawyer Steven Donziger in 2012 to represent Ecuadorian peasants and tribespeople who won €6.01 billion when an Ecuadorian court ruled against Chevron for environmental damage in 2011.
But in 2014, a US court ruled that judgement to be the product of fraud and racketeering and ‘offensive to the laws of any nation that aspires to the rule of law’.
Chevron filed suit against Amazonia at the Supreme Court of Gibraltar in 2014 claiming that Amazonia was set up to continue the ongoing fraud and to control funds and payments from the 2011 judgment
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00