MADRID mayor Manuela Carmena wants to change the name of Franco’s controversial burial site Valle de los Caidos (Valley of the Fallen).
The radical leader has suggested calling the site Valle de la Paz (Valley of Peace).
More than 30,000 people killed in the Spanish Civil War are buried at the site, with Republican families angered that their loved ones are buried alongside their enemy.
Carmena said: “We all agree that the site should remain. Nobody wants to dynamite it, but it would be correct to give it a new vision.
“The Valley of Peace would be a good name.”
The Madrid mayor also suggested changing the name of the city’s Franco-era memorial Arc of Triumph to the Arc of Democracy.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00