TROCADERO Marbella Rugby Club have been crowned Andalucian champions for the first time following a stunning 24-10 victory over Sevilla’s San Jeronimo.
Augusto Nunez opened the scoring for Marbella with a 20th minute try before two penalties from Andres Costa put the Costa del Sol side 11-0 ahead at Puerto Santa Maria.
San Jeronimo responded with a converted try, but a drop goal by skipper Kike Gonzalez and Rodrigo Stuven’s try stretched Marbella’s lead to 21-7.
In the second half, both teams traded successful penalties before two straight reds for San Jeronimo and one for Marbella reduced numbers on the pitch.
Roared on by a large travelling Marbella contingent, Trocadero held their nerve and the lead to claim a famous victory.
The team dedicated the win to Javier García de la Peña, who was injured in the semifinal.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00