SECURITY forces in Spain have stopped at least ten ‘extremely dangerous’ terror attacks since 2011.
Working together, the Policia Nacional, Guardia Civil, regional police forces and the National Intelligence Centre successfully carried out several counter-terrorism operations.
One prevented attack in 2011 featured a plan to poison potable water tanks that were intended for tourists.
More recently it was revealed terror groups ISIS and Boko Haram had hatched a plan to massacre tourists on the Costa del Sol by posing as ice cream vendors and planting bombs under sunbeds.
Spanish authorities say they are regularly intercepting Islamic State recruiters and their affiliates, most of whom are of Moroccan descent.
- Manhunt underway after young woman ‘held down and raped in the street’ by ex-boyfriend and pals in Spain’s Sevilla - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 16:49
- Another swimmer dies off beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 15:22
- British expat pensioner brutally murdered near Spain’s Costa del Sol wanted to move closer to pals in Estepona following husband’s death - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 14:10
- RED ALERT: Warnings across Spain as temperatures to surpass 40C TODAY before scorcher along Costa del Sol on Friday - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 13:22
- British expats in Spain would have ‘strong case’ to sue UK government in case of no-deal Brexit, MP warns - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 12:10
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13