SPANISH entrepreneurs are feeling the heat as they grow the world’s fiercest chillis in the Guadalhorce valley.
Pedro Gallardo and his partners are taking advantage of the booming chilli peppers market and have grown 39 different varieties on land in Cartama.
Their Mucho Macho has honed in on 20 varieties, which are being cultivated for the first time this year.
They plan to produce 40 tonnes in 2016.
“Hot chillis are in fashion, sales are booming, especially in the US and UK, China and Italy, which are the world’s biggest consumers,” said Pedro, “We are planning to sell the chillis fresh, dried and ground. We are also going to make spicy olive oils to be sold in Spain and abroad.”
Their hottest variety is the Carolina Reaper, which contains more than 2,200,000 Scoville units – the measure of how hot a chilli is. For an idea of scale, a Padron pepper measures 2,500 units.
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23
- Warnings as woman almost DIES in Spain after suffering huge allergic reaction to partner’s sperm in WORLD FIRST - 14 Mar, 2019 @ 17:36