A GROUP of Conservative MP’s have warned the Secretary General of NATO of Spain’s behaviour towards Gibraltar.
In a letter, the group label Spain’s recent conduct as a threat to British security, and warn that it could lead to a ‘serious’ incident at sea.
They point to the more than 210 ‘unlawful incursions’ of Spanish vessels into Gib waters, labelling the Iberian state’s conduct as a NATO ally as ‘increasingly unreliable’.
The letter reads: “We are personally fearful that these incursions will eventually result in a serious incident at sea with collisions and a danger of serious injury.
“The fact that Spain impedes the free movement of NATO forces between Gibraltar and Spain is to the detriment of Western Security, for example not allowing US Naval ships to bunker in Gibraltar and then dock at Spanish ports.”
They add that Spain’s decision to not permit the UK’s Royal Air Force aircraft to overfly Spanish airspace on their way to and from Gibraltar adds an estimated cost of £5,000 to £10,000 to each flight.
The letter continues: “It seems to us that Spain’s behavior as a NATO Ally is becoming increasingly unreliable.
“The Spanish Government allows the refueling of Russian warships in the Spanish enclave of Ceuta at a time when Russia has invaded the Ukraine and is aggressively testing NATO’s reactions.
“Yet the Spanish Foreign Minister makes ongoing verbal threats against Gibraltar.”
The letter comes a month after Spain proposed sharing sovereignty of the Rock with the UK following its decision to leave the European Union.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40