THE UK is requiring its schools to detail the nationality of its students.
Spanish and other foreign parents in the UK are concerned at the Department of Education’s plan to collect data on children’s country of birth and nationality in order to ‘monitor the scale and impact’ of immigration in schools.
The information will be gathered on children aged two to nine and added to the National Pupil database.
Although the database has existed for three years, this is the first time details of the children’s birthplace have been asked for.
“This information will be used to help us better understand how children with, for example, English as an additional language perform in terms of their broader education and to assess and monitor the scale and impact immigration may be having on the schools sector,” a spokesperson for the Department of Education said.
Some parents feel the data could be used to underline the idea that there are not enough school places in the UK due to the number of foreigners, doing little to undermine the xenophobic attitudes that have been encouraged post-Brexit.
The UK government has also reportedly made plans to ‘crack down’ on higher education student visas in a bid to bring down immigration numbers.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35