THE treasury has deployed drones to catch tax cheats carrying out unregistered building work.
The light aircraft are taking aerial photographs of properties across the country where building work has been carried out and not declared.
This includes additions that would increase the value of a property and therefore the amount of liable tax, such as extensions and swimming pools.
By not declaring such work, tax cheats have been able to dodge a higher tax bill payable by all property owners in Spain based on the perceived value of the property.
The treasury’s operation, which began in 2014, has so far resulted in the collection of an extra €1.25 billion.
The highest number of fraudsters were detected in Andalucia, where inspectors found 373,224 undeclared buildings.
A new stage of the operation is now underway to survey 6,331 municipal areas with drones.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31